AASM Board of Directors Nomination Process
The AASM invites qualified members to nominate themselves or encourage others to be considered for seats that will open in 2022 on the AASM Board of Directors. To qualify for service on the AASM Board of Directors, nominees must:
- Be a voting AASM member* in good standing
- Meet AASM’s conflict of interest standards
*Full members with Regular, Fellow, or Fellow Emeritus standing are voting members of the AASM. Contactmembership@www.docksidequiltgallery.comto check eligibility.
See theBoard of Directors Nomination Process FAQsfor additional details.
There is at least one upcoming vacancy for an at-large member seat on the Board of Directors. At-large member terms are for three years, and Directors are eligible for re-election for no more than one additional consecutive term.
Board Member Responsibilities
- Set Organizational Direction
- Participate in regular strategic planning
- Determine AASM’smission, vision and core values
- Set major goals and develop strategies
- Approve operational, strategic and budgetary plans
- Ensure Necessary Resources
- Hire, oversee and support executive leadership
- Ensure adequate financial resources
- Enhance AASM’s public standing and advocate for the mission
- Ensure the presence of a capable and responsible board
- Provide Oversight
- Oversee financial management
- Minimize exposure to risk
- Measure progress against the strategic plan
- Monitor and evaluate programs and services
- Provide legal and moral oversight
- Formally evaluate the Executive Director
- Serve on the Board of Directors of theAmerican Board of Sleep Medicine(ABSM). *May potentially serve on the Board of theAASM Foundation.
- Serve as board liaison on assigned committees
- Serve on board committees
*ABSM Board meetings occur in conjunction with AASM Board meetings.
Serving on the AASM Board of Directors requires a substantial time commitment, including:
- Required attendance at quarterly 2-3 day virtual or in-person board meetings, and a ½-day board meeting at SLEEP each June. Additional conference calls may be required in between scheduled meeting dates.
- Review of materials in advance of board meetings (board books can be 300+ pages)
- Attendance at meetings of assigned board committees, which meet periodically
- Attendance as board liaison at meetings of multiple assigned committees, which typically meet monthly
The Board of Directors recently conducted a skills self-assessment and identified the following areas for growth:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Technology Innovation
- Quality Measures (eg MIPS)
- Payer & Reimbursement Policies
How to Nominate Yourself
- Confirm eligibility as outlined above
- Evaluate the required time commitment and other responsibilities (seeBoard Nomination Process FAQsfor details)
- Review theAASM Conflict of Interest (COI) Policy
- Complete the Nominee To-Do List bySunday, Nov. 21, 2021.
Nominee To-Do List:
- Log into your AASM member profile and make sure you have completed your diversity, equity and inclusion data points (if you haven’t done so already)
- Complete all four sections of the Board of Directors Interest Form
- Return your completed paperwork to Christen Whittington via email or fax:
- Board of Directors Interest Form and Questionnaire
- Conflict of Interest Disclosure Form(PDF)
- CV, biosketch, or resume (Thebiosketch templatecan be used if desired, but it is not the required format.)
Reserve time on Dec. 4, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., to be available by phone to answer any questions the Nominating Committee may have about your application.
How to Submit Your Paperwork
The required documentation must be submitted to Christen Whittington firstname.lastname@example.orgSunday, Nov. 21, 2021.
Nominating Committee Process (What Happens Next)
The AASM Nominating Committee meets to review the applications. They carefully consider all applications in relation to the special attributes of each nominee and diversity of the AASM Board of Directors to select the candidate (or slate of candidates) that represents an optimal balance of perspective, experience, and areas of expertise.
Upon completion of their deliberation, the names of the final candidate(s) will be recommended to the AASM Board by the Nominating Committee and then submitted to the membership for election to the position. Nominees will be notified of election results in April. Terms of service for new appointees to the AASM Board of Directors will commence in June at SLEEP 2022.
The AASM also isseeking nominees for the Nominating Committee.